Saturday, March 12, 2016

I'm just a little bit afraid of you

One morning this week I received a phone call from a recruitment company. The young man talked as if it was a question of life or death, hardly breathing at all. He told me he'd found my resume on a web site, and saw that I spoke advanced Hebrew.

I told him I spoke basic Hebrew, but he just went on. When he had to breath, I mentioned that I did speak very good Norwegian, just like my resume says. I heard him typing as fast as hell, nevertheless. Then he said he'd contact me if they had a job that suits me. And hung up.

Though I was quite sure I'd chosen basic Hebrew on that and all other job forums, I just checked it. It said basic. But I did experience this very often; recruiters (also) read without paying attentions to important details. Or maybe they just have to call as many potential candidates (customers), as possible.

A few other cases can confirm what I suspect is right. A few weeks ago I sent an application to a recruiter. In a few hours they called me, and asked if I was looking for a job. I said yes, that's why I'd applied for one on their site. She said she couldn't find my email. But she'd check it and contact me if they had anything suitable for me. She didn't.

Yesterday I received an email from another recruiting company, regarding a position. They asked me to contact them if I was interested. I thought I had already applied for this job on the company web site, and was busy with sending applications directly to other companies. So, I didn't call them.

In an hour or two the person who'd sent me the email called me. She confirmed that she'd sent me a job offer, and asked me to answer if I was interested. I asked her about the company. She said she couldn't give me their name at this stage. I said I'd check the email, and thanked her. By the description of the company I could easily find them, and realized that I'd indeed applied to them.
(I just have to add that she called me after two weeks time again, and asked me whether I was interested...)

On Wednesday I went to an interview. Actually I didn't apply for this job, but another one. However when they sent me a feedback they named this one. I found it interesting, too, but asked them about the one I'd originally applied for. They said this was the only open position available at them now.

They called me on Monday, and said it was not a hundred percent yet, that the other person who should be at the interview, is available on Wednesday. So they would either send me an email with the details, or call me again. On Tuesday late afternoon, there was neither call nor mail from them yet. So, I called.

They said they've just sent me the confirmation. I was sitting in front of my PC, so checked it. I asked them which address they'd sent the mail to. She said the one I had in my CV. I said I couldn't find it there, and asked if that was the address. Then she named another one that I hadn't used in, at least, one year.

She said she'd got it from the person I'd first contacted. I've been using one email address all the time, the same that is in my resume. And it was not the old one, of course. I didn't tell this to her, but felt a bit unsure whether I wanted to go to that interview after all.

There they only made me sure that I didn't want to work with them. The boss told me he couldn't remember leaving the office on time for a long while, as if that was something that should make me do the same. Also they would not teach me for the job, and if I had to ask a second time, then I really had to listen, because they would not repeat it again.

They didn't say what salary they could offer me, instead they listed some things they would provide in addition, like a gym ticket, or language course. All this right after I was told they were working overtime nearly all the time... So when exactly could I use those things?
Anyhow, they didn't give me any feedback in the following two-three weeks, as they promised to do it, nor later. So they made it easy for me. Thanks, indeed.

No comments:

Post a Comment