Wednesday, July 11, 2012

the end of civilization

On the train the guy sitting next to me said to his friend 'or when they were burning books...' and was thinking a few seconds while I - already feeling a bit sorry for not going on with my book that I was still reading on the underground train - felt an urge to help him out, and suggest Fahrenheit 451. However his friend said the Inquisition, and I thought, yes that was one of the many examples indeed.
Then the guy finished his sentence 'When they're burning books that's the end of civilization'. And I thought 'Look around, this is the end of it all, you can read as many books as you want, it's much closer to total control over your mind and what you're wishing for, because now they can influence you better than any time before to want what they want you to want. Instead of wishing for something you can choose free, and dream it for yourself by yourself. This is when it becomes a quasi-civilization with the fakest ever freedom you can think about.'

No comments:

Post a Comment