Thursday, February 25, 2016

We live in a stressful world

So, I've applied to a position at a well-renowned global company, in which they said it was preferred to have Norwegian language skills. I was very happy to receive a confirmation from them within a few days time. So we've agreed on having a short call just to learn a bit more about each other. They've even sent me a description about the job, saying thanks for my being interested in this particular one.

What I was somewhat surprised to see that the job description they sent, and the one of that I've applied for were actually different. Not very much, but basically not about the same job. For instance, Norwegian skills were not mentioned, not even as preferable. This was the main reason I'd sent my application in, as a matter of fact. Anyhow, I thought I should certainly receive answers to all my questions when we talk.

Well, it did not happen exactly so. Otherwise it was a very nice and happy conversation. But I would lie if I said it was anything close to show an informative nature. It is one thing that this was a screening call, so they could not tell me about the abbreviations used in the announcement, or about the working hours. But the fact that I've applied to a different position didn't seem to effect them either. Though I've explained why I was interested in the job I've actually seeked.

However, I could be completely sure about one thing during this short chat. They highlighted this several times, so I could become fully aware of it - this was a stressful job. To do so, I was presented a question whether I have worked in a stressful position before. I said, yes, ever since I've started to work in customer services, it has been rather stressful, so I know all about it.

But my interviewer was obviously a tiny bit stressed out, sighing quite deeply, and asking me yes, but do I see this is an administrative position, that's why it is so stressful. I confirmed that I understood what she meant, as in IT support - where I have worked, that is - it is rather important to document every piece of information. I have also added that I'd worked in administrative jobs before. That's when I started to wonder if they'd looked at my resume at all.

At the end of our conversation the most relevant points were summarized by way of repeating them, and me confirming them as correct. Should I say that my lovely screener did not miss the chance to emphasise that I have worked in stressful jobs, and I understand that this is a stressful one,d as well. Then we ended the call by agreeing on that they would contact me latest within a week from now.

Quite honestly I still have my doubts about why I was offered another job than the one I've applied for,  without anyone telling me the reason for this. Also, when I did tell them quite clearly that one of the reasons I've chosen the job I did seek, was the skills I had, which on the contrary they did not need in this other position. But then again, it was certainly not the choice of their colleague who contacted me, as I couldn't get any answers from her on some very basic questions, either. That's it. We live in such a stressful world.

No comments:

Post a Comment