Sunday, November 25, 2012

Public transportation #10 Bus stop musings #4 Automatic

This memory stayed with me from the still very hot October days. Maybe it only took me being late so I caught a new bus on my daily route. It had buttons to open the doors unlike the old ones running there. I didn't notice it, though, but learned it, and learned it well. This is the story how it happened. 
When I saw that there were a lot of people getting on through the door I was standing by, rushed over to the other one. Which by then closed, so ran back to the first one which also closed in front of me.
Then I gestured and shouted towards the front, hoping the driver would notice it. He did and opened the door. I got up, and mumbled something about this, while still listening to music with earphones. The driver wouldn't start though, and I mumbled some more about not getting to work on time. Then a passanger next to me gestured to make me unplug my mp3 player. He said the driver only wanted me to know I only had to push the button on the door to open it. I said great but he also didn't need to let them close on my face.
That was the big mistake, as then both the driver and this passanger started to tell me the doors close automatically, so we have to hurry to get on, or push the button again. The passanger added "comprende?" Guess, because my dark hair was held back and I wore black sunglasses. All that and my inability to comprehend what they've been trying to tell me could easily make him mistaken me for a foreigner.
I have to admit I did feel foreign, specially when he added I'd accused the driver with something he didn't do... I said alright, go on then with it, but I rather put back my earplugs and keep on listening to music instead, comprende? Next day another driver with the same kind of bus kept the doors open for minutes after all the passengers waiting in the stop got on, right until it left. And so it was the following day and every day ever since. Never seen the same driver again though.

No comments:

Post a Comment