Friday, September 13, 2013

Public transportation musings

Another nice weekend starts. I remembered they'd announced on the train that it would stop on Friday afternoon around five o'clock - after all that's the time when most people want to get home from work - and they would run buses instead throughout the weekend so the rails could maintained.
So... when I got off the tram at the end station where I'm supposed to change to the train - a few minutes walk - I asked a man who was coming from the direction of the train stop if the train had already stopped going. He said yes, so I turned back and walked for 10 minutes or so to get to the bus stop where I could catch the one that takes me home. Now, I saw all kind of buses coming and leaving in a few minutes time except for that.
So... I went into the nearby public transportation control office or something where I was told they had not been informed about the train stopping whatsoever, but if so then yes, the bus would leave from that stop.
Well now I started to walk back to the train stop keeping an eye on the buses coming. I was half way or so when I caught glance of a bus with a sign referring to the above named train line obviously empty. I was too far to catch it, but turned back anyhow in hope I can reach the next one with a determined intention to get home.
When I got back to the stop - there are a few rather busy roads and tramlines in between with or without traffic lights - there was another bus coming with the well desired sign and it slowed down and turned into the stop, but would not stop or open the doors but instead it left... while I and the man I met a while back coming from the train stop, were both wildly waving towards the front of the bus where we suspected a human being with a functioning brain who made this wonderful vehicle move along with now tracks whatsoever.
I gave a sign to the man to say I couldn't understand why we were left off, but I could also notice the bus was completely empty, carrying the sign of the train we couldn't ride though - God only knows why. We also exchanged our fears and hopes with this fellow wannabe passenger, and I enlighted him with the knowledge of yet another such a bus running with no passengers to be seen on board.
Hence we made our way back to the train stop with the silent hope in our heart that we can finally get home. When we got there we found out that the last train was supposed to leave within 20 minutes or so. However I overheard a man talking on his mobile who mentioned a mysterious announcement made on the loudspeakers at this stop according to which we should not wait any longer for the train after all.
This information confirmed by our fellow public wanderer and the sight of the empty buses running supposedly instead of the train but not stopping to take on passengers caused even more confusion in my already well washed brain on this pleasant Friday afternoon. But as they say hope dies last, so we turned back and took our walk towards the by now well known bus stop. Where we could finally watch a completely full bus stopping with no chance to get on it.
I got on the next one though and was thinking no wonder these people look all frustrated or as if they could kill anyone around them when they pay about the tenth of their monthly salaries (in most cases, if we don't take statistics but instead real average wages, it costs even more) for a monthly public transportation ticket. Alternatively they pay even more as a fee in case they don't have a valid ticket and have to endure the most violent and humiliating treatment from the so-called controllers.

Moral: I found a rather good black beer in the bus stop where I was waiting. A kind they don't sell in the shop by the train stop where I get off. At the bus stop where I got off they don't sell anything. Except lives.

No comments:

Post a Comment