Wednesday, May 5, 2010

job situation (Carol but not Christmas)

I admit that I have some fears now that the end of this job I have is getting closer. And also when I think about the people I worked with in these past 3 years, as many of them could be my children or close to that age. Say I find a similar job, the chances are big to get the same average team age. The problem is I'm not sure if I can survive another dynamically flexible, multinational (at my work 5% foreigners is too much to say, but then they should be paid better...) environment. One where everyone is encouraged to develop their own personal values, but strangely in a way that they all end up acting, thinking maybe even looking the same way.

Don't get me wrong, it's not the age I can't deal with, but the habits - or maybe not even that. It can be simply that it was only me and my friends taking our job seriously even as youngsters. While the majority of these people I work with now, prefer to find the easy way. So as an interpretation of the team work, leave the actual work for the others, while they try their luck with fanning the management, if you see what I mean... And the bad thing is that they succeed this way.



I do remember how it was like to work with people of my parents' age in my early twenties. I surely didn't care much about the personal stuff, but definitely did what I was supposed to. And did it with care, and on time, and in overtime if so needed. Of course, life also seems easier at that age, then with two decades added to it.

Still I do what I'm paid for, as I'm not one of those lucky folk who have jobs what they have talent for, and enjoy to do it. Nevertheless I try and do things at work the best as I can, also because I believe it makes things easier for me, and for my colleagues. But I feel quite bad since this is not what matters when it comes to who gets a job that needs the experience.



For instance, not so long ago, there was a vacancy in a similar, almost the same job I do now, inside the company. I applied for it, and was interviewed (bit funny that was, as if I came from somewhere else, and had not been working here for years...). Now the job was given to someone who did this job for two weeks, and my experience of half year was not convincing enough. I have my doubts whether they looked at my performance though. At the end of the interview, my boss-to-be asked me 'oh, yeah, and by the way, do you play any instruments?'. Well, I don't, and agree that if it was a musical institute it had some relevance. But since it's IT support...

However, now that another vacancy had been announced at the same team, I have applied for it again. This time they have even asked for an updated CV, as if they didn't have the one at HR. So I sent it with my application. Then in a few days the team leader asked if I could send it, not again, but as if I hadn't done it already. So, I have sent it again. Now I am waiting for a word about the same position I was once rejected from, and that was given to someone who is playing in a trash metal band, after all. Well I need to earn my living some way or another. Maybe I should start to learn how to play the guitar?


Story Sample - Konrad Lorenz: Civilized Man's Eight Deadly Sins
Silver Screen - Christmas Carol (The X-files Season 5)
Song Selection - Eurythmics: Sweet Dreams (Are Made Of This)

No comments:

Post a Comment