Wednesday, June 1, 2016

cultural differences

It's great that you can meet people from other countries also at the many multinational companies. It's really interesting to hear their stories, why they chose to come here, where they've been, and it's good to have a chance to practice their mother tongue with them.

Though sometimes it seems the only thing these people can offer here is their language skills, which honestly is not that much, when you learn it as a child while growing up. At one of my jobs my boss who didn't speak the language we used to support our customer, and had no experience either in the job or as a boss, used to question my language skills repeatedly, without any reason he could give to do so.

After about a year of growing chaos, that was also mostly up to this bosses unreliable and irresponsible way of being a leader of our team, I decided to leave.  I could have given them the reason which was also true, namely that I left for a new life in another country. But am I really sorry for not having done so, but instead honestly telling about how the chaos and lack of support effected me in my work? Especially when this boss is still there, but my team members are all gone by now. You wonder why...

And when there was a boss who had both the language skills, and the professional experience, and also as a boss - and that meant he was really listening to us, and trying to help - he was switched to a youngster who was a native speaker, but failed some basic tests necessary for his previous job, and therefore had been fired from it.

I mentioned it, when I gave my notice, that only because that guy can speak his own language fluently,  he should not boss around, instead he should take his share of the work like everyone else was doing it.  When I asked that guy who he thought he was, when he talked in a rather unacceptable way with me, a girl who came from the same country as him, told him very fast in their own language that he should keep his superiority (sic!). But right after that she told me how sorry she was about what I experienced... After this he was given the leadership. Fortunately I'd left by then.

I can't call this an issue of cultural differences, no matter how hard many at such global firms try to convince people about it. It's simply an issue of using people, and abusing them. That's all.

No comments:

Post a Comment